Ashley is available as worship leader/preacher for Sunday services, or for special occasion and rite of passage events including weddings, child dedications, and memorial services.
Possible sermons include such titles/themes as:
- "The Stories We Tell": We find the holy when we share and process our stories with each other. This Sunday, we will explore the ways storytelling and storyhearing let us cross barriers of difference and allow us to meet each other in our deepest humanity.
- "Lessons From the Cave": Like the Shinto sun goddess Amaterasu, we all experience times when we take cover, hiding ourselves away from the world, seeking quiet and solitude to be alone with grief or anger or pain. What draws us into the cave, and what might lead us out again?
- "Has the Story Reached Thee of the Honored Guests?" : " Abraham once unwittingly welcomed angels into his home as his guests. How can we be blessed by welcoming the stranger? This service draws on the deep hospitality traditions of Islam.
- "It Gets Better Because We Make It Better": It's one thing to promise young LGBTQ people who suffer intolerance and violence that "it gets better" someday. It's another thing to work to make it better. How does our faith call us to "come out" as religious people in support of ALL people? (Winner of the national Interweave sermon contest, 2011)
- "Barriers, Boundaries, and Belonging: The Adventure of Border-Crossing":
The geographical boundaries we draw with our bodies, communities, and institutions are declarations to the world about our deepest values, just as much as the boundaries we construct around our identities. How does our faith call us to be "border-crossers," both physically and spiritually?
- "Leaving the God-Shaped Hollow Empty: A Reflection on Lent" : Using the Biblical texts about the Fall of Adam and Eve (Genesis 2:15-17, 3:1-7) and Jesus' temptation in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-11), we will look at what causes us to feel separated from the Divine, and what the practices of Lent can teach us about coming to terms with our very human incompleteness.
What special equipment or resources do you require?:
Please tell us about your fees:
Mileage + District-suggested fair compensation
Do you carry insurance?: